When picking fabrics I wanted to do a dinosaur theme for my nephew and a girly theme for my fashionista niece. I went shopping at Joann's for fabric and decided upon flannel because of the warmth and the fact the kids live in Washington state. It was super easy to find girly flannel colors that coordinated. Dinosaur flannel was limited though, so the colors weren't necessarily what I would say are my ideal but they worked.
When picking out what type of pattern I was going to use I knew I wanted to do charm squares for ease of cutting/sewing. And I also knew I didn't want to do rag quilts because I didn't want to cut 3 of everything, or deal with snipping the rag part.
I got brave this time, I designed the quilt pattern's on my own! I got on excel and mapped out the kids names and then figured out how many charm squares I would need and got to cutting.
For the borders for both quilts I brought the backing fabric forward, instead of adding a separate binding and border. It certainly wasn't an exact process and it wouldn't be quilt show worthy, but the kids loved their quilts and didn't know anything was wonky.
My niece Ella's Quilt:
My nephew Eli's Quilt:
I finished both quilts off with printable / fusible quilt labels that I ran right through my home printer: